Attractions

Carbonear has a number of attractions for residents and visitors, including the Princess Sheila NaGeira Theatre, George W. Earle Promenade, Harbour Rock Hill, Carbonear Wharf, Paddy’s Garden, the Recreeation Complex, walking trails, and children’s play areas.

Princess Sheila NaGeira Theatre

Conception Bay Regional Community Centre
256 Water Street Carboner NL A1Y 1C5
Phone: 709.596.7529
Email: [email protected]
Website: princesssheilatheatre.com

The Princess Sheila NaGeira Theatre is a 379 seat, air conditioned and wheelchair accessible facility, set in the heart of the Baccalieu Trail Region. The theatre, which is located in the Conception Bay Regional Community Centre at 256 Water Street in Carbonear, has perhaps one of the most beautiful outdoor settings in the province.

Directly facing the Carbonear harbour, it is adjacent to the extensive George W. Earle Promenade which encircles the Ponds. Since opening in 1998, the Princess Sheila NaGeira Theatre has become the principal centre for the performing arts in Carbonear and many of the surrounding towns. The well-designed and attractive theatre is a source of pride for the entire Baccalieu Trail region.

George W. Earle Promenade

A beautiful promenade set in the center of the Town of Carbonear and surrounding two ponds this 974 metre board walk is a very popular setting enjoyed regularly by locals and visitors alike.

Named for former Mayor George W. Earle, (1969-73) a life-long advocate of the Town of Carbonear, the George W. Earle Promenade is a delightful way to enjoy some healthy exercise while watching the antics of ducks on the ponds.

Nell’s Walking Trail

The Nell’s Walking Trail starts from Pondside Road and runs currently to Columbus Drive. The trail was dedicated to Nell Finn, the first female council member in the town of Carbonear. Finn served the town from 1973-1981. The route is 2.1 KM and runs alongside Rossiter’s Pond.

Harbour Rock Hill

Wayside Sign about Carbonear Island

Harbour Rock Hill offers a spectacular view of Carbonear Harbour, including Carbonear Island. In 1812, Mr H.C.Watts requested guns to protect the town from American privateers which can be seen today . It is an historic area that has witnessed many events through the years and these stories today are told by a series of storyboards.

Carbonear Wharf

The government wharf is actively used by fishers, boaters, and tour boat operators. It provides a panoramic view of Carbonear Harbour.

Paddy’s Garden

Paddy’s Garden which is adjacent to the Community Recreation Complex, offers many events through the whole year.

Concerts are sponsored by the Carbonear Special Events Committee.

Recreation Complex

63 Valley Road Carbonaer NL
Info (709) 596-7535
Daily Schedule (709) 596-2381


Enjoy our year round 6 lane, 25 meter swimming pool, 2 softball fields, 4 tennis courts, soccer field, 400 meter rubberized track and skate park

Carbonear Island

Carbonear Island is a National “Event” site. It is situated in the mouth of Carbonear Bay at the entrance to Carbonear Harbour in Conception Bay on Newfoundland’s east coast. It has been referred to as the Gibraltar of the North, more specifically as the Gibraltar of Newfoundland. Carbonear Island was a natural defense for settlers as early as 1614 in the days when the pirate Peter Easton and other pirates regularly and randomly attacked settlements along the coastline. During King William’s War (1689-1697) in the bitter winter of 1697, French forces led by D’Iberville invaded eastern Newfoundland leaving devastation in their wake; Carbonear Island was the only location in Newfoundland to successfully defend against the invaders.

Again during Queen Anne’s War (1702-1713) French troops with their French Canadian courier de bois and Abnaki Indian allies again attacked and the settlers took refuge on the small island and once more repelled the attackers. Despite many attempts to gain access to the rocky cliffs of Carbonear Island during these difficult times, the defenders of Carbonear Island stood strong against attack and the small Island remained in English hands. This amazing feat was due mainly to the courageous determination of the settlers because during those battles, no military help was available and the weapons used were a few small cannon mounted on the cliffs and the musketry used for subsistence hunting. Carbonear Island has been quiet since the mid fifties when the fishing families gradually withdrew and the gulls are the main inhabitants of the little island except in the summer when occasional visiting tourists and locals take a trip out for a picnic or to walk the historic ground of their ancestors and reflect on past glories. In 2010, under the direction of the Town of Carbonear, archaeologist Roy Skanes conducted an archaeology Survey of Carbonear Island and with his team of fieldworkers dug more than 1200 artifacts from 100 test pits. Because these artifacts were of such interest, many dating to the 17th century, further archaeological exploration was conducted again during the summer of 2011, yielding more that 4300 artifacts, some dating to times of great interest and because of these findings plans are underway for further exploration. The Carbonear Island Exhibit opened on July 26, 2011. It is housed in the old Railway Museum and is an exquisite journey into the past 300 years of life on Carbonear Island. Boat tours are available during the late spring, summer and early fall to Carbonear Island. Although access to the Island is somewhat challenging, it is worth the time and effort to walk the steps of the brave defenders of this island that was the last hope for settlers in the days of conflict.

Museums

The historic town of Carbonear has three museums which are located in restored historic properties, which played a significant part in the towns past. The Railway Station Museum, the Old Post Office Museum, and the Rorke Stores Museum, are all open to the public with guides during the summer. They are operated with the assistance of the Carbonear Heritage Society.

Railway Station Museum

223 Water St, PO Box 999
Carbonear, NL A1Y 1C5
Phone: 709-596-3831 ·
Email [email protected]

In June 1987, the Carbonear Railway Station was recognised as a Registered Heritage Structure. The Railway Station Museum is also used as a tourist information centre.

The current building was completed in 1919. On March 31, 1984, the station ceased operations. The station owned by the Town of Carbonear has been restored and turned into a museum.

The major exhibit in the museum illustrates the history of Carbonear Island and includes information about the Carbonear Island Archaeological Dig: The main exhibit room components are divided into six thematic areas which allow you to trace the history of Carbonear Island. In addition, there is a exhibit of railway paraphernalia which outlines the history of the Railway Station.

Old Post Office Museum

182 Water St, Carbonear, NL A1Y 1C5
Phone:709-596-0714 (office) – 709-596-3831(off season)
Email [email protected]
http://carbonearheritagesociety.weebly.com
Home to the Carbonear Heritage Society, the Old Post Office is a Registered Heritage Structure.

This prominent landmark is locally referred to as the Old Post Office. Built in 1905, it replaced the original post office that burned down in 1904 taking the life of the postmistress, Miss Tryphoena Nicholl who valiantly died while rescuing two other persons.The Tryphoena Nicholl Exhibit is a commemorative one which gives an account of the heroism. Many interesting artifacts speak to the life and times of the Town of Carbonear are found in this Museum.

It houses genealogical records which include Cemetery Listings, Voters’ Lists, Directories, Newspapers, etc. for those who seek historic information and family tree research.

Rorke Store Museum

215 Water St, PO Box 999, Carbonear, NL A1Y 1C5
Phone: 709-596-3831 (Call to arrange Group, Student, or Organization Tours)
Email [email protected]
The Rorke Store is a Registered Heritage Structure.

The Rorke Store, one of the few remaining examples of old mercantile premises in Newfoundland and Labrador Constructed in 1874, the building houses a collection of artifacts donated by Rorke family who had been in the merchantile and fish business for approximately 140 years. The founder John Rorke (1807-1896), who was born in Athlone, Count Caven, Ireland.

The original West store stands testament today to the industry and expertise of the builders of 1874, its “balloon” construction with its “ships knees” having withstood the storms of more than a century. The main floor houses an Exhibit called “Balancing the Scales.” Just recently installed on the second floor is the Exhibit called “Going Foreign”. This Exhibit is on loan from the Carbonear Heritage Society and further details the Salt Fish Trade and its many and varied journeys overseas.

The second story is a little theatre called The Loft, which lends a special ambiance to various types of entertainment.

Other Registered Heritage Structures

Pinehurst Registered Heritage Structure

7 Musgrave Street
Carbonear, NL A1Y 1B4
Registered Heritage Structure »

Keneally House Registered Heritage Structure

8 Patrick Street
Carbonear, NL A1Y 1B4

Peach’s Farm Registered Heritage Structure

Registered Heritage Structure »
Not open to the public.

Powell House Registered Heritage Structure

72 Water Street
East of Carbonear Island
Registered Heriage Structure »

Rorke’s Stone Jug Registered Heritage Structure

232 Water Street
Carbonear, NL A1Y 1C5
Registered Heritage Structure »

St. James Anglican Church Registered Heritage Structure

13 Bond Street, Carbonear, NL A1Y 1C4
150 years old in 2014
Phone: 709-596-6187
Email: [email protected]
Registered Heritage Structure »

62 Water Street